How does TOAST compare to other databases' mechanisms? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Frank Joerdens
Subject How does TOAST compare to other databases' mechanisms?
Date
List pgsql-general
If this question is answered in some FAQ, I'd be happy just for some
pointer. If not, what I'd like to know is this: Since I will be using
PostgreSQL (because it's the database I know best and because I like it
;)) for a content management type app where I need TOAST, I am wondering
whether this mechanism is actually something really advanced and neat
(this is what I'd assume) or if it is a not-so-elegant, rather involved
construction to get around a legacy limitation? To put it another way:
Can I go around bragging to my SQL-minded friends about using this
really cool thing that no other database has, or should I keep my mouth
shut because it's actually not so cool? How do the MySQL people do it
(there's a pretty instructive comparison of MySQL and PostgreSQL at
http://www.phpbuilder.com/columns/tim20000705.php3 in the context of
both databases' suitability as a web site backend which mentions the 8k
barrier as one of the bigger minuses of PostgreSQL - it's a head-to-head
race in this comparison by the way, which makes it particularly
interesting)?  What's Oracle's answer to oversized attributes (or other
advanced DBMS's, like Sybase, Informix et al)?

Thanks, Frank

--
frank joerdens

joerdens new media