Re: Using Microsoft Access as front end to Postgres - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Huttleston Jr
Subject Re: Using Microsoft Access as front end to Postgres
Date
List pgsql-general
Hey Steve,
    We've been happily using MS Access 97 as a front end for pg 7.02 for about two months.
A couple of points:

1) Make sure you have the absolute latest stable ODBC driver.  We had strange phantom
problems after upgrading to pg 7.02 because we did not update our ODBC driver.

2) We had a persistant problem with an error 'Out of Memory while reading tuples (#1)'.
The solution was to turn *ON* the declare/fetch option in the PostgreSQL ODBC driver on
the client systems.

3) The pgsql-interfaces list is where most ODBC issues are discussed.  The declare/fetch
solution to our memory problem was from a thread a year ago between Byron Nikolaidis and
G. Anthony Reina on the INTERFACES list (found using the web search feature on postgresql.org)

Good Luck,
    David Huttleston Jr

On Thu, 5 Oct 2000 14:38:08 -0700, you wrote:
> I am trying to use Microsoft Access as a front end to Postgres, but I am having some trouble with the ODBC driver. I
getall sorts of weird problems. For instance, sometimes when I enter in new values in a table, if the field I type in a
fieldthat has already been typed in before (ie I type "CA" in two different rows of the "states" column), the whole row
has"#Deleted" in it. Other times, I want to delete a record, and I'll get a dialogue box that says "ODBC--delete on a
linkedtable 'test' failed" and then another one that says "Error while executing the query; ERROR: Unable to identify
anoperator '=' for types 'xid' and 'int4'. You will have to retype this query using an explicit cast". I get the same
exacterrors if I try to change an item in a current record.

> I assume there is a more reliable way to connect to database clients than this. Has anyone got a Microsoft Access
frontend working with Postgres? I am using Postgres 7.0.2 and ODBC driver postdrv 6.5.

> I also tried going to OpenLink ODBC, but I can't find where you are supposed to put IP address of the server you want
toconnect to with this driver. the Help files are non-existant with this particular driver.