Re: Memory bloating - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ross J. Reedstrom
Subject Re: Memory bloating
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Oct 03, 2000 at 11:55:45AM -0500, Micah Anderson wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We are using postgresql exclusively for our database backend for a
> high-traffic site, sustaining 3-4 pages per second, in many cases
> bursting well over that. At least half of those accesses are pgsql
> SELECT, we rarely, if at all, use DELETE. It seems worst on tables with
> more than about 1000 rows or 1000 hits an hour, or both.

Hmm, how about UPDATE? The exploding files and VACUUM stats indicate that
you're creating no longer valid tuples _somehow_. Any recent changes in
SQL scripts? I'd be suspicious of a 'view' page that got cloned from an
'edit' page, and is updating the 'modified' field, as an example.

You could turn on a higher level of logging, and capture the actual
queries, for a time, and find the culprit that way. Use of varchar isn't
the problem: there's got to be either UPDATE or DELETE going on.

Ross
--
Open source code is like a natural resource, it's the result of providing
food and sunshine to programmers, and then staying out of their way.