Re: ALTER TABLE DROP COLUMN - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: ALTER TABLE DROP COLUMN
Date
List pgsql-hackers
OK, I am opening this can of worms again.  I personally would like to
see this code activated, even if it does take 2x the disk space to alter
a column.  Hiroshi had other ideas.  Where did we leave this?  We have
one month to decide on a plan.

> > You can exclusively lock the table, then do a heap_getnext() scan over
> > the entire table, remove the dropped column, do a heap_insert(), then a
> > heap_delete() on the current tuple, making sure to skip over the tuples
> > inserted by the current transaction.  When completed, remove the column
> > from pg_attribute, mark the transaction as committed (if desired), and
> > run vacuum over the table to remove the deleted rows.
>
> Hmm, that would work --- the new tuples commit at the same instant that
> the schema updates commit, so it should be correct.  You have the 2x
> disk usage problem, but there's no way around that without losing
> rollback ability.
>
> A potentially tricky bit will be persuading the tuple-reading and tuple-
> writing subroutines to pay attention to different versions of the tuple
> structure for the same table.  I haven't looked to see if this will be
> difficult or not.  If you can pass the TupleDesc explicitly then it
> shouldn't be a problem.
>
> I'd suggest that the cleanup vacuum *not* be an automatic part of
> the operation; just recommend that people do it ASAP after dropping
> a column.  Consider needing to drop several columns...
>
>             regards, tom lane

Pennsylvania19026