get table schema in psql? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Michael Teter
Subject get table schema in psql?
Date
List pgsql-sql
how can I get the schema of a table in psql?

in oracle I would do "desc tablename".  I remember sql
server and ingres having a similar facility.

right now the only way I seem to be able to get the
information is by using pgaccess.

I realize the definition of the table is probably
spread across the various pg_ system tables, but I'm
thinking there must be some easier way to get the
info.

in particular, I'm after the list of columns, their
data types and lengths, null/non-null, default values,
and table indices.

thanks,
michael