Re: Really bad/weird stuff with views over tables in 7.0.2 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alfred Perlstein
Subject Re: Really bad/weird stuff with views over tables in 7.0.2
Date
List pgsql-hackers
* Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> [000902 11:06] wrote:
> Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net> writes:
> > If you define a table and then create a select query rule over it
> > then drop the rule the table will be gone.
>
> > Another related problem is that let's say you have done this and
> > the table you've "hidden" with a view is rather large and has
> > indexes then postgresql will seriously choke on trying to
> > vacuum and/or vacuum analyze the table which is really a view!
>
> Looks OK from here ... how about a reproducible example?

Ok, typo on my part, if you type "DROP VIEW foo;" that nukes the rule and
the table behind it.  Is that the expected behavior?  I'll try to
figure out a way to demonstrate the problem I thought I was having
with data in both tables later right now I desperately need sleep. :)

thanks,
-Alfred