Re: [Solved] SQL Server to PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Radoslaw Stachowiak
Subject Re: [Solved] SQL Server to PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-general
*** Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> [Tuesday, 22.August.2000, 23:11 -0400]:
> There's no essential performance difference between char(n), varchar(n),
> and text in Postgres, given the same-sized data value.  char(n)
> truncates or blank-pads to exactly n characters; varchar(n) truncates
> if more than n characters; text never truncates nor pads.  Beyond that
> they are completely identical in storage requirements.
[.rs.]

Does varchar(188) takes 188 bytes (+ bytes for length storage) every
time, no matter if it contains 'my text'  or 'my long 188 char text.....'
?

--
radoslaw.stachowiak.........................................http://alter.pl/