Re: Server Overload - Mailing list pgsql-general

From brianb-pggeneral@edsamail.com
Subject Re: Server Overload
Date
List pgsql-general
Steve Wolfe writes:

> > I've seen brief posts regarding server loads, distrubution for heavy
> loads,
> > etc, but don't recall if there were any solutions...
> >
> > Anyways...We are running a Postgres DB against multiple frontend
> > webservers.  For most of the time, everything runs fine.  Then, all of a
> > sudden, everything will start to go all funky.  Crashing...Errors...Etc...
> >
> > When I log onto the DB server and try to do anything, I get "Too many open
> > files in system."  ulimit is set to unlimited and there is PLENTY of FREE
> > memory.
>
>   What OS are you running?  Despite ulimit being "unlimited", your kernel
> may have a limit on either the number of open files, or the number of file
> handles.

I'd also check on how your web server connects to Postgres. If you're using
a webserver that pools database connections (e.g. Apache with mod_perl and
DBI, AOLserver,IIS) you should be able to handle a large amount of web
traffic while maintaining only a few backend connections. If you're using
CGI, consider that each CGI program establishes its own connection to the
database and allocate resouces accordingly.

Brian
--
Brian Baquiran <brianb@edsamail.com>
http://www.baquiran.com/  AIM: bbaquiran

I'm smarter than average. Therefore, average, to me, seems kind of stupid.
People weren't purposely being stupid. It just came naturally.
                              -- Bruce "Tog" Toganazzini