Re: Continuous inserts... - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: Continuous inserts...
Date
List pgsql-sql
Stephan Szabo wrote:
> Wierd, I've not seen that behavior really, although I've never
> done time sensitive stuff.  It might be the time before the
> shared cache updates?  Not sure really.  If you do the rule
> inline with your inserts (rather than a second transaction)
> does it still wait?
   Just jumping in not having followed the discussion. But...
   The rules applied to a table by the rewriter are taken out of   the relation descriptor that is returned  by
heap_open() or   heap_openr().

   I haven't looked at the code, but pg_class only has a boolean   telling if a class has rules or not. Could it be
that adding   more  rules  (or  dropping just a few instead of all) doesn't   update the pg_class tuple, thus the
syscache for  the  table   isn't  invalidated and other backends continue to use the old   information instead of
rescanningpg_rewrite?

Jan