Re: Unimpletmented features - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ross J. Reedstrom
Subject Re: Unimpletmented features
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Aug 17, 2000 at 01:13:20PM +1200, John Morton wrote:
>  > Now John, let's keep it all in perspective: ALTER TABLE / ADD CONSTRAINT
>  > not working isn't going to cost you your job or anything, is it?
>
> I've taken my dried frog pills and I'm feeling much better :-)

Yeah, aren't they wonderful? I'm worried about the worldwide depletion of the
amphibian populations, though. ;-)

> That much works for me, thanks. I was looking at adding uniqueness across
> fields but I can do that with CREATE INDEX, so it's not a showstopper.

And that's how the backend handles it, anyway.

> If I was trying to add other contraints I'd be having more trouble. I seem
> to recall that the rename/create/fill/delete kludge required rebuilding
> indexes and permissions by hand in 6.5.*; is it the same story in 7.0?

'Fraid so. Becareful of any 'serial' fields, as well: the sequences will
need to be moved around by hand.

> Yeah, I guess I can live with that, though I'd be much happier during
> development to have the full array of alter commands at my disposal.

That's part of the problem: the ALTER family are really only useful for
development, so they're not targeted as strongly as features that will
affect the daily functioning of a production DB.

Ross
NSBRI Research Scientist/Programmer