Re: Unimpletmented features - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ross J. Reedstrom
Subject Re: Unimpletmented features
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Aug 16, 2000 at 06:44:27PM +1200, John Morton wrote:

> What happened when I tryed it:
>
> DBD::Pg::db do failed: ERROR:  ALTER TABLE / ADD CONSTRAINT is not implemented
>
> If I find another unimplemented 'feature' of postgresql 7.0.2 documented
> in the manual I swear to god I'm going to go postal.

Now John, let's keep it all in perspective: ALTER TABLE / ADD CONSTRAINT
not working isn't going to cost you your job or anything, is it?

> How about a 'not yet implemented in 7.0' line in the documentation for
> this stuff?

How about reading farther down the document? to quote ( from
http://postgresql.org/docs/user/sql-altertable.htm under Notes):

    In the current implementation, only FOREIGN KEY constraints can
    be added to a table. To create or remove a unique constraint,
    create a unique index (see CREATE INDEX). To add check constraints
    you need to recreate and reload the table, using other parameters
    to the CREATE TABLE command.

reedstrm=# alter table t2 add constraint foo foreign key (x2) references t1(x);
NOTICE:  ALTER TABLE ... ADD CONSTRAINT will create implicit trigger(s)
for FOREIGN KEY check(s) CREATE
reedstrm=# select version();
                            version
 PostgreSQL 7.0.2 on i686-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by gcc 2.95.2
(1 row)

reedstrm=#

Is that what you experienced?

A further problem can occur because of reorganization problems
at postgresql.org: There are two sets of documentation!  Those for
the released version, and those for that track the CVS development
version. In response to many cries of "But all the cool new features
aren't documented!" that happened around the 6.[03] releases, the core
developers got very hardnosed (with each other, as well as everyone
else) and insisted that a patch fora new feature was not complete until
it patched the docs, as well. This means the development docs often
reference features that are not yet released, but _do_ exist. It's not
vaporware documentation, just pre-release. Hey, it's a lot better than
_no_ documentation.

Ross
NSBRI Research Scientist/Programmer