Re: Postgres problems with large databases. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alfred Perlstein
Subject Re: Postgres problems with large databases.
Date
Re: Postgres problems with large databases.  (Dan Moschuk <dan@freebsd.org>)
List pgsql-general
* Dan Moschuk <dan@freebsd.org> [000810 14:55] wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I'm encounting some strange problems trying to use postgres on a table
> with a fairly substantial amount of records (~1 million).
>
> The problem comes when you try and select a record from the database.
> Postmaster in debug mode complains whole heartedly about resource errors,
> and after that, everything goes downhill (everything from postmaster crashes
> to index corruption).  This occurs both with 6.5.3 and 7.0.2.
>
> Any pointers/ideas?

First off I'm sure the developers would like to know more than:
  "complains whole heartedly about resource errors"
can you name the errors specifically?

Second, when was the last time to vacuumed the table?  what about
vacuum analyze?

Third, do you have nice indexes on the tables to help the search?

What does explain say about your query?

Have you bumped up the size of the shared memory segment for
postgresql?

-Alfred