Re: foreign keys - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Radoslaw Stachowiak
Subject Re: foreign keys
Date
List pgsql-general
*** Stephan Szabo <sszabo@megazone23.bigpanda.com> [Sunday, 06.August.2000, 14:26 -0700]:

> Actually, you should only be seeing one constraint out on the referencing
> table and two out of the referenced one, but yes, fundamentally it only is
> dumping the constraint triggers for the table you are dumping at the
> moment.

ok, but let's talk about number of constraints. I think that the correct
number (for my meaning of full foreign key) is 4. 2 for both tables:
referenced: UPDATE contrains AND DELETE constraint
referencing: INSERT constraint AND UPDATE constraint

am I right?

> > What is correct (mean: most simple) way of dupicating table with all FK ?
>
> Umm, possibly taking the dump of the table you want and a schema only
> dump of the referenced table and removing the bits you don't need.
>
> Or, turn the constraint triggers into alter table add constraint
> statements (although you'd then have to only get one alter table add
> constraint in case you were on the referenced table - and that could
> still get you in trouble depending on what precisely you're doing --
> if the table was the referenced table of a fk constraint, would you
> necessarily want to alter the table that was referencing it?).
[.rs.]

my english is not so good for such complicated sentences :)

what i need/try to accomplish is to full dump/recreate/modify of table with all
needed (applied) constraints. Primiary I thought only about referencing
table but now I know that "prescription" should also mention operation on
referenced table. In short:
1. how to full duplicate/modify table (referencing)
2. how to full duplicate/modify table (referenced)

It should take care of fact that it should at start DESTROY table and all
constraints (on both tables!!!) and than recreate it from scratch - this
is needed to satisfy the modify case (someone may need to changee FK
schema to sth different).

How can I manipulate existing unnamed (created automaticly by foreign key)
constraints on tables in PSQL tool ?

--
radoslaw.stachowiak.........................................http://alter.pl/