Re: two table comparison: find a mismatch? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Ross J. Reedstrom
Subject Re: two table comparison: find a mismatch?
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Fri, Jul 28, 2000 at 04:54:58PM -0400, Web Manager wrote:
> Hello,
>
> here is to table:
>                                Table "city"
>    Attribute    |    Type     |                  Modifier
> ----------------+-------------+---------------------------------------------
>  city_id        | smallint    | not null default
> nextval('seq_city'::text)
>  region_id      | smallint    |
>  region_tour_id | smallint    |
>  country_id     | smallint    |
>  name_fr        | varchar(40) |
>  name           | varchar(40) |
>  url_id         | smallint    |
>

>                              Table "region"
>  Attribute |    Type     |                   Modifier
> -----------+-------------+----------------------------------------------
>  region_id | smallint    | not null default nextval('seq_region'::text)
>  country_id| smallint    |
>  name_fr   | varchar(40) |
>  name      | varchar(40) |
>  address   | boolean     |
>  url_id    | smallint    |
>

> I whant to fins a "hole" in the linkage... a region number in the city
> table is not in the region table any more.
>
> How can I do that?

SELECT * FROM city WHERE region_id NOT IN (SELECT region_id FROM region)

should do it.

BTW, the syntax on your defaults for the id's seems a bit odd. Any reason
your casting the text literal to text? Have we got a bug somewhere?

Ross
NSBRI Research Scientist/Programmer