Re: New Privilege model purposal - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From JanWieck@t-online.de (Jan Wieck)
Subject Re: New Privilege model purposal
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Hmm, I thunk I was working on that. I put out a proposal on May 22, and we
> came to a pretty good understanding about the details and I was working on
> a new specification.
   I  apologize.  Karel already told me so and it seems I missed   that discussion somehow.
   Anyway, it's good to hear you're  still  on  it.  What's  the   estimated time you think it'll be ready to get
patchedin?

> >             The system will manage a  stack,  remembering  nested
> >             states  of  the  effective user id. Calls through the
> >             function manager can  switch  for-  and  backward  to
> >             another  one, so prosetuid functions will inherit the
> >             effective  permissions  of  the  function   (trigger)
> >             owner.  The  stack  is  reinitialized  at transaction
> >             aborts.
>
> This is definitely necessary, but it needs to be more general. There is a
> command SET SESSION AUTHORIZATION, which is essentially `su', that could
> make use of this also.
   I see - a session level userid switch. Should this one affect   the setting of realuid  as  well  or  not?  And
must it  be   possible  from  inside  a function (or whatever) and then get   rolled back if the function returns?
Shouldit stay permanent   otherwise if issued from inside a function?

   The thing users actually complain about is the requirement of   UPDATE permissions to REFERENCE a table. This could
be fixed   with  making  RI  triggers setuid functions for 7.1 and check   that  the  user  at  least  has  SELECT
permission on   the   referenced table during constraint creation.  This would also   remove the actual DOS problem,
thata user  could  potentiall   create  a  referencing  table  and  not giving anyone who can   update the referenced
oneupdate permissions on it too.

   I think it's worth doing it now, and  couple  it  later  with   your general access control things.

Jan