Re: location of change list? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ross J. Reedstrom
Subject Re: location of change list?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Jul 13, 2000 at 04:58:54PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Ed Loehr <eloehr@austin.rr.com> writes:
> > Can anyone point me to a list of changes and bug-fixes *by release* for
> > 7.0.1 and 7.0.2 over 7.0?
>
> The only really accurate info is in the CVS logs.  Bruce usually
> prepares a summary for the release history, but if that's not good
> enough for you, get out your cvs client and look for yourself.
>
> The best way I've found so far is to cd to the top level of the
> area you are interested in (probably the top of your copy of the
> source tree) and do
>
> cvs log -rREL7_0_PATCHES -d '>2000-05-10' -N | more
>
> (substitute appropriate branch name and date limit as needed; this would
> get you all log messages in the 7.0.* branch since 7.0 release).
>
> This is still pretty noisy --- it prints header info for all files
> including ones that haven't been modified in that branch, which tends to
> swamp out the stuff you're looking for :-(.  Does anyone have a better
> recipe?

Bruce has a shell script in src/tools for cleaning up the CVS log output,
merging common log entries, but I can't get it to work (I get complaints
from cat and awk:

wallace$ ./pgcvslog -r '\.2\.[0-9]*$' ../log
cat: invalid option -- r
Try `cat --help' for more information.
awk: line 6: regular expression compile failed (missing operand)
* print blank line separating entries * )

If you've got a CVS tree handy, there's a nifty perl script at:

http://www.red-bean.com/~kfogel/cvs2cl.shtml

that generates a GNU style ChangeLog directly from the cvs logs.

Note that we don't seem to get a log entry for the release itself:
is one commited?

Here's the top of running:

cvs2cl -l "-d'>2000-05-10'" -F REL7_0_PATCHES -r -b

        * src/backend/optimizer/path/indxpath.c (REL7_0_PATCHES.1):
        Backpatch backwards-index-scan fix.

        * src/backend/utils/adt/: like.c, regexp.c, varchar.c
        (REL7_0_PATCHES.[1,1,1]): Back-patch StrNCpy fix.

        * doc/: FAQ_Linux_German (1.1), FAQ_Linux_Italian (1.1),
        src/FAQ/FAQ_hpux.html (1.2), src/FAQ/FAQ_irix.html (1.2),
        src/FAQ/FAQ_linux.html (1.2), src/FAQ/FAQ_solaris.html (1.2):
        Remove HTML FAQ files that are really just text files.

[...]

And here's the main trunk:

        * doc/src/sgml/release.sgml (1.57): Fix munged markup from previous
        commit.

        * src/: backend/parser/analyze.c (1.150), backend/parser/gram.y
        (2.178), backend/parser/keywords.c (1.79), backend/parser/scan.l
        (1.73), backend/utils/misc/guc.c (1.7), bin/psql/mainloop.c (1.33),
        include/nodes/nodes.h (1.71), include/nodes/parsenodes.h (1.109),
        test/regress/expected/comments.out (1.3),
        test/regress/sql/comments.sql (1.3): Implement nested block
        comments in the backend and in psql.   Include updates for the
        comment.sql regression test.  Implement SET SESSION CHARACTERISTICS
        and SET DefaultXactIsoLevel.  Implement SET SESSION CHARACTERISTICS
        TRANSACTION COMMIT  and SET AutoCommit in the parser only.   Need
        to add code to actually do something.  Implement WITHOUT TIME ZONE
        type qualifier.  Define SCHEMA keyword, along with stubbed-out
        grammar.  Implement "[IN|INOUT|OUT] [varname] type" function
        arguments  in parser only; INOUT and OUT throws an elog(ERROR).
        Add PATH as a type-specific token, since PATH is in SQL99  to
        support schema resource search and resolution.

[...]