Re: Temp tables performance question - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Temp tables performance question
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> I have a question about performance issues related to temporary tables.
>
> IIRC temporary tables were implemented as ordinary tables with some
> pre/post-processing to give them unique names so that they would not
> clash with similar-named tables from other sessions.

Right.

> Is this all that is done or has some work been done to improve their
> performance further?
>
> I'm mainly interested in INSERT performance as this is the area that is
> much slower than other operations.

So you are not saying that INSERT on temp tables is any slower than
ordinary tables, just that you think there is a way to make temp tables
faster.

My guess is that WAL is going to make INSERT's poor performance a
non-issue.

Pennsylvania19026