Re: AW: update on TOAST status' - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From JanWieck@t-online.de (Jan Wieck)
Subject Re: AW: update on TOAST status'
Date
List pgsql-hackers
I wrote:

>     Maybe we could propagate key range changes into upper  blocks
>     at index_delete() time. Will look at the btree code now.
   After looking at the vacuum code it doesn't seem to be a good   idea.  Doing so would require to traverse  the
btree first,   while  the  current  implementation  just  grabs the block by   index ctid and pulls out the tuple.  I
would expect  it  to   significantly  slow  down  vacuum  again  - what we all don't   want.

   So the only way left is recreating the indices  from  scratch   and moving the new ones into place.
   But  in  contrast  to things like column dropping, this would   have to happen on every vacuum run for alot of
tables.
   Isn't it appropriate to have a specialized version of it  for   this   case   instead  of  waiting  for  a  general
relation  versioning?

Jan