Re: join if there, blank if not - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Jacques Williams
Subject Re: join if there, blank if not
Date
List pgsql-sql
Gary,

What you want here is an outer join. The syntax would look something like this:

select c.cdate, c.ctime, c.cextn, c.cnumber, n.ndesc
from calls c, numbers n
where c.cnumber=n.nnumber
union all
select null as cdate, null as cextn, null as cnumber, n.nnumber, n.ndesc
from numbers;

(I haven't tried this, but it should work.) For more information on outer joins, see Bruce Momjian's book at
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/aw_pgsql_book/.

Jacques Williams