Re: postgres 7.2 features. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: postgres 7.2 features.
Date
List pgsql-hackers

> The bottom line is that the original postgres time-travel implementation
> was totally cost-free. Actually it may have even speeded things
> up since vacuum would have less work to do. Can you convince me that
> triggers can compare anywhere near for performance? I can't see how.
> All I'm asking is don't damage anything that is in postgres now that
> is relevant to time-travel in your quest for WAL....

Basically, time travel was getting in the way of more requested features
that had to be added.  Keeping it around has a cost, and no one felt the
cost was worth the benefit. You may disagree, but at the time, that was
the consensus, and I assume it still is.

Pennsylvania19026