Re: Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL vs. MySQL - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL vs. MySQL
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> I'm not by any means sold on removing the physical separation between
> databases --- I can see lots of reasons not to.  But I think we ought
> to think hard about the choice, not have a knee-jerk reaction that we
> don't want to "eliminate a feature".  Physically separate databases
> are an implementation choice, not a user feature.

If we put tables from different database in the same tablespace
directory, and a database gets hosed, there is no way to delete the
files associated with the hosed database, unless we go around and find
all the table files used by all databases, then remove the ones not
referenced.

Pennsylvania19026