Re: update on TOAST status - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From JanWieck@t-online.de (Jan Wieck)
Subject Re: update on TOAST status
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Mike Mascari wrote:
> Chris Bitmead wrote:
> >
> > Jan Wieck wrote:
> >
> > >     Toast  tables  aren't  automatically   created   for   system
> > >     catalogs.  Thus I'll add
> > >
> > >         ALTER TABLE pg_rewrite CREATE TOAST TABLE
> > >
> > >     to  initdb.  So we'll get unlimited view complexity for free.
> > >     As soon as  arrays  are  toastable,  we  might  want  to  add
> > >     pg_class because of relacl too.
> >
> > Why would we want system catalogs toastable?
>
> I assume this will allow for Views with large rewrite rules which
> currently are limited in size.
   Absolutely correnct.
   With the code in place (after a few more fixes) I was able to   create a "SELECT *" view from  a  681  attribute
table. The   resulting  rule  is  about  170K! And more complex things are   possible too now,  because  the  rewrite
rule size  is  not   limited  any  longer (as long as you have enough CPU, ram and   disk space).

Jan