Re: upper() problem in 7.0.2 - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Christopher L. Cousins
Subject Re: upper() problem in 7.0.2
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Thu, Jul 06, 2000 at 12:48:53AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> "Christopher L. Cousins" <chris@impulse.net> writes:
> > I have been able to make the backend crash using psql.  I also took a dump
> > of the database while I had some known values that would trigger the problem.
> > Because of this, I can now reload the dump (to a dummy database) at any time to
> > reproduce the problem.
>
> > I had to attach to the running process to get a backtrace (the core file was
> > too large to be written to the disk, took me a while to figure that out).
>
> I don't think I believe that backtrace.  Could you send me the dump
> file?

The core file is never written to disk (I did verify that the environment I am running
postgres under was setup to allow core files).  I belive the reason for this is that
the core file would be too large (see the looping bt output below taken without loading
symbols).  I will try to see if I can force part of it to disk regardless of size.

Is there anything else I should try?

BTW, I tried loading the database on a Solaris 2.7 box and the problem did not occur.

postgres@cobalt% gdb
GNU gdb 4.16.1
This GDB was configured as "i386-unknown-openbsd2.7".
(gdb) atach 25526
Undefined command: "atach".  Try "help".
(gdb) attach 25526
Attaching to process 25526
0x40211fe3 in ?? ()
(gdb) continue
Continuing.

0xdfbfd654 in ?? ()
(gdb) bt
#0  0xdfbfd654 in ?? ()
#1  0x10000 in ?? ()
#2  0x1 in ?? ()
#3  0x1000000 in ?? ()
#4  0x1 in ?? ()
#5  0x1000000 in ?? ()
#6  0x1 in ?? ()
#7  0x1000000 in ?? ()
#8  0x1 in ?? ()
#9  0x1000000 in ?? ()
#10 0x1 in ?? ()
#11 0x1000000 in ?? ()
#12 0x1 in ?? ()
#13 0x1000000 in ?? ()
#14 0x1 in ?? ()
#15 0x1000000 in ?? ()
#16 0x1 in ?? ()
#17 0x1000000 in ?? ()
#18 0x1 in ?? ()
#19 0x1000000 in ?? ()
#20 0x1 in ?? ()
#21 0x1000000 in ?? ()
#22 0x1 in ?? ()
---Type <return> to continue, or q <return> to quit---

** data removed while I held down the ~return~ key **

#17963 0x1000000 in ?? ()
#17964 0x1 in ?? ()
#17965 0x1000000 in ?? ()
#17966 0x1 in ?? ()
#17967 0x1000000 in ?? ()
#17968 0x1 in ?? ()
#17969 0x1000000 in ?? ()
#17970 0x1 in ?? ()
#17971 0x1000000 in ?? ()
#17972 0x1 in ?? ()
#17973 0x1000000 in ?? ()
#17974 0x1 in ?? ()
#17975 0x1000000 in ?? ()
#17976 0x1 in ?? ()
#17977 0x1000000 in ?? ()
#17978 0x1 in ?? ()
#17979 0x1000000 in ?? ()
#17980 0x1 in ?? ()
#17981 0x1000000 in ?? ()
#17982 0x1 in ?? ()
#17983 0x1000000 in ?? ()
#17984 0x1 in ?? ()
#17985 0x1000000 in ?? ()
---Type <return> to continue, or q <return> to quit---

--

--Chris

                              ____
Impulse Internet Services    /    \