Re: heap_create with OID? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From JanWieck@t-online.de (Jan Wieck)
Subject Re: heap_create with OID?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> My own feeling is that the current LO setup is fundamentally flawed
> by its reliance on specific OID values, and that the right answer is
> to find a way to avoid that.  contrib/lo might provide some food for
> thought here (although it's clearly not the whole answer either).
   I  have  some  ideas  to  replace  the  entire LO handling by   something completely  different.  More  compatible
with the   Oracle  way  of  handling  large  objects.  That  is, that on   INSERT/UPDATE  someone  uses  a  function
to place  an   LO   reference  into  the  tuple.  Then  having a new interface in   libpq, that works like file I/O on
thereferences that appear   in a result set. To open them for writing, the user must have   selected them for update,
otherwise he  can  open  them  for   reading.   The  file  I/O itself can be based on the fastpath   interface.

   The LO's follow Oracles copy semantic,  so  if  someone  does   INSERT ... SELECT, the LO gets duplicated.
   All  LO's  for  one  base  table  can  be  stored in one big,   segmented external heap (more or less like toast
values).The   system would automatically know when objects are obsolete.

   An  INSERT  operation  might  then  return a result set as if   someone did a SELECT FOR  UPDATE  of  exactly  what
he just   inserted.   So he immediately has access to the LO references   to place the values.

   Don't know yet how to interface it from psql  -  but  let  me   sleep another night or so over it.

Jan