Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] TOAST - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From JanWieck@t-online.de (Jan Wieck)
Subject Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] TOAST
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> Jan Wieck <wieck@hub.org> writes:
> > TOAST
> >     WARNING: This is actually broken - we have self-deadlocks
> >           due to concurrent changes in buffer management.
> >             Vadim and me are working on it.
>
> Uh, exactly how broken would that be?  Do you mean that the CVS tip
> is now nonfunctional and no one else can expect to get any useful
> work done?  Or do the problems only arise in special cases?
   My usual sequence is
   -   construct a patch   -   run "cvs update"   -   apply my patch to a local copy of the CVS tree   -   run the
regressiontest   -   apply my patch to the checked out tree   -   cvs commit

   That  avoids  alot  of  trouble.  The  problems only arise if   someone uses a new command to activate tuple move
offto  the   secondary relation.

   I  had  some  time where I wasn't able to compile the current   CVS at all (my old, years grown, box got screwed up
alittle,   and  my new notebook wasn't installed to a useful level). The   problem now is, that if the toaster really
moved off  values   into the secondary relation, the backend locks up when trying   to append a main tuple.

   Vadim changed  something  recently  in  heap_insert()  and  I   already gave him a call. He'll look at the test case
Iposted   to CORE soon.

Jan