Re: large text fields? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From JanWieck@t-online.de (Jan Wieck)
Subject Re: large text fields?
Date
List pgsql-general
Ron Peterson wrote:
> Mike Salib wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> > I'm trying to find out if I can store more than 8k characters of data in
> > one field in a single row. I'm working on a web based app and limiting
> > myself to 8k posts is problematic. Has this limitation changed in
> > Postgres 7?
>
> No.  You have three options, I think.
>
> (1) Increase the data page size and recompile.
>
> (2) Use the large object interface.
>
> (3) Check out Jan Wieck's TOAST project
> (http://www.postgresql.org/projects/devel-toast.html).  It's still in
> development, but maybe you can help.

    With  the  latest  changes  to  the CVS, my epoch-grown-linux
    doesn't complile a fresh CVS copy any more. So I cannot  even
    tell  what  to  do  to get that snapshot running. Better wait
    until I've got my new Notebook running under  RedHat  and  am
    able to incorporate the TOAST stuff into CVS.

Jan