Re: getting inet out of char? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: getting inet out of char?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Jun 07, 2000 at 12:20:23AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:

> Seems like the cleanest answer would be to teach PHP about inet data
> type (not to mention other extension types).

I'd like to do that, but I don't even know where to begin.  I gather that
something like this is still being worked on (although I guess it will get
integrated with PHP4, rather than 3, and I'm not in a hurry to upgrade).
Anyway, it'd probably take more than my meagre skills could do.

> You could create a C-coded function to do the transformation, or you
> could replace the rule with a trigger coded in pltcl or plperl.  I
> believe both the pltcl and plperl languages are basically datatype-
> ignorant --- as long as the textual output from one data value looks
> like the format the input routine for another type is expecting,
> it'll work.

Thanks.  At least this isn't one of those cases where I overlooked something
really obvious!

Andrew Sullivan                                      Computer Services
<sullivana@bpl.on.ca>                        Burlington Public Library
+1 905 639 3611 x158                                   2331 New Street
                                   Burlington, Ontario, Canada L7R 1J4