Re: Use of index in 7.0 vs 6.5 - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Use of index in 7.0 vs 6.5
Date
List pgsql-sql
> > For example we could count up distinct values for the first
> > column of an index by scanning its index relation.
>
> Oracle has index keys distribution page... And we have near empty
> meta-page for each index AM... And backend reads this page for
> each insert...

That certainly would make sense.  We have hesitated to gather more
statistics because of the time involved.  Fuller statistics on just the
indexed columns could be a big win and be done fairly quickly because
the rows are already sorted in the index.

Pennsylvania19026