Re: yowch: dumpRules(): SELECT failed for table website. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alfred Perlstein
Subject Re: yowch: dumpRules(): SELECT failed for table website.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
* Hiroshi Inoue <Inoue@tpf.co.jp> [000524 03:05] wrote:
> > > Hmm,shutdown postmaster and invoke standalone postgres.
> > >
> > > postgres -O -P webmaster
> > > REINDEX DATABASE webcounter force;
> > > ^D
> >
> > gah!
> >
> > ~/scripts % postgres -O -P webmaster
>
> Sorry,webcounter instead of webmaster.
>
> > DEBUG:  Data Base System is starting up at Wed May 24 02:24:49 2000
> > DEBUG:  Data Base System was shut down at Wed May 24 02:24:46 2000
> > DEBUG:  Data Base System is in production state at Wed May 24
> > 02:24:49 2000
> > FATAL 1:  Database "webmaster" does not exist in the system catalog.
> > FATAL 1:  Database "webmaster" does not exist in the system catalog.
> >
> > not good :(

ugh, it's late for me over here, I should have noticed "database"
rather than "table" but i've already fixed it via moving the data
to another table.

I'm wondering if there's a way to get a unique value into a table?

this caused some problems:

CREATE TABLE "data" (   "d"           varchar(256) PRIMARY KEY,   "d_id"        serial
);

because after I reloaded the table from:
 insert into data select * from data_backup;

then tried to insert into 'data' using only values for 'd' then it barfed
because it was trying to use values from the serial that were already
in the table.

is there a way around this?  using OID doesn't seem right, but seems to
be the only "safe" way to get a truly unique key to use as a forien key
that I've seen.

any suggestions?