Re: setproctitle() no longer used? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: setproctitle() no longer used?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Wed, 10 May 2000, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > Oh.  Can you look at the setproctitle code on your platform and see
> > how it implements it?
>
> In the end I believe we'll make the world a better place if we're using
> setproctitle when available. Sendmail does. If someone really complains
> about speed loss we can always make it an option not to use it, but I
> won't buy into that until I see some profiling evidence.

Good point.  I just did it because it worked on BSD, and I don't have
setproctitle.  If sendmail does it by default if setproctitle exists,
maybe that is the way to go.

BSDI 4.01 doesn't have setproctitle, but I don't need it because I can
just assign anything in there.

I saw the FreeBSD code, and it seems they have added a sysctl() call in
the library setproctitle code to handle it.

Pennsylvania19026