Re: Multibyte still broken - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Robinson
Subject Re: Multibyte still broken
Date
Re: Multibyte still broken  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:
>Sorry you had trouble,

Trouble I had foreseen, which I had brought to the mailing list, and for
which I had provided an explanation and fix, by the way.

>but the above seems uncalled-for.  What would be
>more productive is a submitted patch to apply against 7.0.

Actually, I think there are three separate issues here.

1. There was a potentially serious problem, and it didn't get on Bruce's  master TODO list, which is the authoritative
referencefor what in Postgres  needs to be fixed.  I take responsibility for not seeing to it that this  was done.

2. By its nature, the multi-byte code is poorly overseen, and poorly   exercised.  This is understandable, as the
overwhelmingmajority of   Postgres installations don't want or need it.  However, the result is that  it's effectively
a"contrib"-quality component in the Postgres core.

3. The multi-byte support, as it currently exists, is founded on a particular  philosophy, one which I argue is not the
mostpragmatic.  In the East Asia  that I know and love, multibyte support, as a rule, is an ugly hack on top  of
unibytetools and infrastructure.  The exception is end-to-end Unicode  systems, which can be relied on to produce
predictabledata.  However, I've  never encountered a native Simplified Chinese GB application in which it  was the
leastbit difficult to produce "illegal" code sequences.  In a  real-world environment, with email attachments,
cut-and-paste,and whatnot,  it's practically inevitable.

  Thus, I cannot accept a situation where my database aborts on, or  otherwise rejects data that is produced and
acceptedby all other tools  in the work environment, and will stick with a unibyte build as long as  this is the case.

-Michael Robinson