Orphaned locks in 7.0? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alfred Perlstein
Subject Orphaned locks in 7.0?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Argh! I can't reproduce this:

NOTICE:  Message from PostgreSQL backend:       The Postmaster has informed me that some other backend died abnormally
andpossibly corrupted shared memory.       I have rolled back the current transaction and am going to terminate your
databasesystem connection and exit.       Please reconnect to the database system and repeat your query.

NOTICE:  Message from PostgreSQL backend:       The Postmaster has informed me that some other backend died abnormally
andpossibly corrupted shared memory.       I have rolled back the current transaction and am going to terminate your
databasesystem connection and exit.       Please reconnect to the database system and repeat your query.

NOTICE:  Message from PostgreSQL backend:       The Postmaster has informed me that some other backend died abnormally
andpossibly corrupted shared memory.       I have rolled back the current transaction and am going to terminate your
databasesystem connection and exit.       Please reconnect to the database system and repeat your query.

pqReadData() -- backend closed the channel unexpectedly.       This probably means the backend terminated abnormally
  before or while processing the request.

Basically I was running two instances of psql, in one I issued:
         one                              two

begin;
lock data;  -- some table                                     lock data;^C -- cancel
select * from data;^C -- cancel

end;                                                                          lock data;^C -- HUNG then aborted

It's annoying that I can't seem to reproduce this, and I know LOCKs
are only to be requested during a transaction, but it did happen.

thanks,