Re: setproctitle() no longer used? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: setproctitle() no longer used?
Date
List pgsql-hackers

> > > 'splain the "argv[0] trick" briefly.
> >
> > It is a nifty BSD one.  If you assign argv[0] in the program to a
> > string, it shows in ps.
> >
> >     argv[0] = "new ps string";
> >
> > The Linux method is:
> >
> >     strcpy(argv[0], "new ps string");
> >
> > In the second case, you are actually writing into the environment area
> > use to store args.  Not real great, but it works on Linux.
>
> This does not:
>
> #include <stdio.h>
> #include <sys/types.h>
> #include <libutil.h>
>

> int main(int numargs, char *argv[])
> {
> int ii;
>
>         argv[0] = "Postgres Power!";
>
>         for(ii=0;ii<100;ii++) sleep(1);
>
> return 0;
> }
>
> $ cc test.c -lutil -o test
> $ ./test
>
> making it strcpy(argv[0],"Postgres Power!");  didn't either.
>
> But:
>
> making it:  setproctitle("Postgres Power!");  gives this:
>
> 34273  p3  S      0:00.00 test: Postgres Power! (test)

Well, that's interesting.  Our issue with setproctitle is how fast it
is.  Every query changes its proctitle, so it has to be fast.  Tom want
to have setproctitle on backend startup, then use the fast method on
platforms that support it.

Does the existing postgres ps title code work on your Linux?

Pennsylvania19026