Re: a couple of newbie question - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Ivo Simicevic
Subject Re: a couple of newbie question
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
On Sun, Apr 16, 2000 at 11:57:38AM -0700, Matthew Denny wrote:

> I know this question is probably fairly elementary, but I could not
> find the answer in the docs or mailing list archives.  How does one handle
> NULL values in the embedded SQL interface?  For example, if I have a
> statement:
>
> exec sql insert into test_table values(:foo, :x, :y)
>
> and foo represents a CHAR attribute (represented by a string in C) that I
> want to set to NULL, how do I go about doing this?

There are two ways :
 exec sql insert into test_table values (NULL,:x,:y)    or more properly

define indicator variable in DECLARE section and use it to insert null value
e.g.
 EXEC SQL BEGIN DECLARE SECTION; char foo[10]; int x; int y; int indicator; EXEC SQL END DECLARE SECTION;
..... indicator=-1; EXEC SQL INSERT INTO test_table VALUES (:foo:indicator,:x,:y);

> Similarly, how do
> I tell that a value put into a variable by a fetch call is NULL or
> not?

 You can do it the same way:
 EXEC SQL SELECT foo,x,y          INTO :foo:indicator,:x,:y          ......
 and then check for indicator value.

GL

Ivo.