Re: database file size bloat - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Brian Neal
Subject Re: database file size bloat
Date
List pgsql-general
Maybe you might want to try out MySQL?  A little while ago, I compared both
MySQL and PostgreSQL to see how they stacked up (for my purposes, anyway).  I
came to the conclusion that while MySQL is a very fast read-only database, it
doesn't support transactions, row-level locks, stored-procedures, sub-selects,
etc.  PostgreSQL has a lot more basic database support, but it is harder to
install and maintain (in my opinion), has worse documentation, and a number of
interesting quirks...for example, the fixed-size row limitation that can only be
changed by a recompilation, or the VACUUM problem described here.  Other issues
I had included the way the backend seemed to work...it is certainly very
demanding when it comes to shared memory, and I had concerns about the process
pool (whether or not pg-sql could handle enough connections) instead of threads,
which most other databases seem to use.

MySQL is an easier installation, requires less maintenance, doesn't have
row-size limitations, and is fully threaded.  PostgreSQL supports a great deal
of basic SQL functionality that MySQL doesn't.  MySQL is good for read-only
databases because it seems to be rather ineffective when it comes to concurrent
writes to the same table (either lock the whole table or lock nothing at all)
and no commit/rollback.  PostgreSQL seems to offer what MySQL lacks, but in
reality it also lacks a lot of what MySQL has.

In my case, I am still looking, but maybe there is a more immediate solution out
there for you. ;)

-Brian

Jacobi <jacobi@freespeech.org>