Re: [SQL] index file's growing big - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Ross J. Reedstrom
Subject Re: [SQL] index file's growing big
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Mon, Mar 06, 2000 at 10:46:19AM -0600, Karl Denninger wrote:
> Uh, why not just "vacuum" the table?
>
> You want to do this periodically anyway, as Postgres does not re-use TABLE
> entries either, and the table file itself will grow without bound if you
> don't do this once in a while.
>
> Further, if the tables are large you want to use "vacuum analyze" to reorder
> the indices in a fashion that makes queries more efficient.

Well, with a recent version, that will help keep the index from growing as
fast, but it will still grow. That's the point of my garbled description.

However, if Zoltan is _not_ vacuuming regularly, that's a problem as well.
If he wasn't, though, I'd have expected him to complain about the size
of the table file, not the index file.

Ross

NSBRI Research Scientist/Programmer