Re: [HACKERS] Re: bit types - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Ross J. Reedstrom
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Re: bit types
Date
Re: [HACKERS] Re: bit types  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Mar 01, 2000 at 11:36:52AM -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Bruce,
> >
> >     The bit-type that is in contrib is useless as it stands. Those are
> > only C-routines to implement the functionality, and there are none of
> > the SQL functions to actually make these usable. This really needs to be
> > integrated with postgres proper. I don't know how to go about this and
> > that is why I asked for help. I'm prepared to do whatever SQL function
> > definitions are needed, do the regression tests etc. Would it be better
> > to go back to the hackers mailing list to ask for help? Has this missed
> > 7.0 now? If so, we'd better remove the bit-type from contrib.
>
> I clearly dropped the ball on this one.  Don't think it can go into 7.0
> because it would require catalog changes/initdb.  However, I would like

Hmm, I thought the hard and fast rule was no initdb _after_ release. Surely
this sort of thing is what beta (especially beta1) is for?

Ross
NSBRI Research Scientist/Programmer