Syntax bug in create table - does not allow NULL - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Gunnar R|nning
Subject Syntax bug in create table - does not allow NULL
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Your name        :    Gunnar Rønning
Your email address    :    gunnar@candleweb.no

System Configuration
---------------------
  Architecture (example: Intel Pentium)      : Intel Pentium

  Operating System (example: Linux 2.0.26 ELF)     : Linux 2.2.12 ELF

  PostgreSQL version (example: PostgreSQL-6.5.3):   PostgreSQL-6.5.3

  Compiler used (example:  gcc 2.8.0)        : gcc version egcs-2.91.66

There seems to be a syntax bug in the create table statement that prevents
you from specifying the (redundant) NULL qualifier for a column. Here is my
example create table statement :

create table DOCUMENT
(
    DOCUMENTID      INTEGER not null,
    DOCUMENTTYPE    INTEGER NULL,
    PRIMARY KEY (DOCUMENTID)
);

According to the documentation I should be able to specify NULL on the
DOCUMETTYPE column, but I get this error message from psql :

ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near "null"

FYI. I'm experimenting with using PowerDesigner to generate SQL for
PostgreSQL and I'm modifying a definition file for Oracle to work with
PostgreSQL. Do you know if this already has been done by somebody ?

Please describe a way to repeat the problem.   Please try to provide a

If you know how this problem might be fixed, list the solution below: