Re: [GENERAL] WIN-client wanted ... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Marten Feldtmann
Subject Re: [GENERAL] WIN-client wanted ...
Date
List pgsql-general
> Marten Feldtmann wrote:
>
> > I'm in need for a thin libpq library under Win'32.
>
> it is amazing how few people seem to be using libpq.dll! my next project
> will need some kind of client server db access and I'm seriously
> considering using libpq.dll; I won't need a full blown SQL engine, just
> a way to store and retrieve records with row-level locking and
> transaction support;
>
> is libpq.dll as under-used as I deduce from reading this list?

 Hmmm, libpq without a full blown SQL engine somewhere does not make sense -
therefore I do not understand your question above - libpq just give you the
communication to this full blown sql engine.

 It seems to be dependent of the platform one is using. On Windows'xyz you
use ODBC in nearly all the places. But I've also heard, that some projects
do not use ODBC und just use the low-level libraries from Oracle or IBM to
get rid of the additional odbc structure. When it comes to products suitable
for several databases it may be useful to use odbc.

 I myself just would like to have the thin libpq.dll and libpq.lib for the
case NOT to use the ODBC structure of Windows and therefore make everyone the
connectivity to our database product available.

 Another point is the thin structure of the API of PostgreSQL. There has
been a libpq available for PostgreSQL 6.4.2 on the net ... but with 6.5.x
I've seen nothing like this. I had thought, that the odbc dll would had
the libpq also, but it seems, that they integrate the libpq stuff into
the odbc library.

 Marten