Re: [HACKERS] WAL logging problem in 9.4.3? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: [HACKERS] WAL logging problem in 9.4.3?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2019-11-05 22:16, Robert Haas wrote:
> First, I'd like to restate my understanding of the problem just to see
> whether I've got the right idea and whether we're all on the same
> page. When wal_level=minimal, we sometimes try to skip WAL logging on
> newly-created relations in favor of fsync-ing the relation at commit
> time.

How useful is this behavior, relative to all the effort required?

Even if the benefit is significant, how many users can accept running
with wal_level=minimal and thus without replication or efficient backups?

Is there perhaps an alternative approach involving unlogged tables to
get a similar performance benefit?