Re: cleanup temporary files after crash - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tomas Vondra
Subject Re: cleanup temporary files after crash
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On 3/18/21 9:06 PM, Euler Taveira wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 18, 2021, at 4:20 PM, Tomas Vondra wrote:
>> I think a better way to test this would be to use a tuple lock:
> I predicated such issues with this test. Your suggestion works for me. Maybe
> you should use less rows in the session 2 query.
>
>> setup:
>>
>>   create table t (a int unique);
>>
>> session 1:
>>
>>   begin;
>>   insert into t values (1);
>>   ... keep open ...
>>
>> session 2:
>>
>>    begin;
>>    set work_mem = '64kB';
>>    insert into t select i from generate_series(1,10000) s(i);
>>    ... should block ...
>>
>> Then, once the second session gets waiting on the tuple, kill the
>> backend. We might as well test that there actually is a temp file first,
>> and then test that it disappeared.
> Your suggestion works for me. Maybe you could use less rows in the session 2
> query. I experimented with 1k rows and it generates a temporary file.

OK. Can you prepare a patch with the proposed test approach?

FWIW I can reproduce this on a 32-bit ARM system (rpi4), where 500 rows
simply does not use a temp file, and with 1000 rows it works fine. On
the x86_64 the temp file is created even with 500 rows. So there clearly
is some platform dependency, not sure if it's due to 32/64 bits,
alignment or something else. In any case, the 500 rows seems to be just
on the threshold.

We need to do both - stop using the timing and increase the number of
rows, to consistently get temp files.

regards

--
Tomas Vondra