Re: GSoC applicant proposal, Uday PB - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Chapman Flack
Subject Re: GSoC applicant proposal, Uday PB
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 3/18/20 1:11 AM, p.b uday wrote:
> summer. Below is my draft proposal for your review. Any feedback would be
> greatly appreciated.
> The goal of the project is to improve the PL/JAVA online documentation
> website in terms of appearance, usability, information showcase and
> functionality.

Thanks for your interest! There is plenty of room for the existing
documentation to be improved.

> May 4 – May 16
>
> Familiarize with website and velocity. Start with simple CSS framework
> class to clone the original PostgreSQL documentation website styles and
> themes.

I should perhaps clarify that I don't think it's essential for the
PL/Java docs to exactly clone the styles of PostgreSQL or of another
project. I would be happy to achieve something more like a family
resemblance, as you see, for example, between postgresql.org and
jdbc.postgresql.org. There are many differences, and the shades of
blue aren't the same, but you could believe they are related projects.
PL/Java's looks very different, only because it's currently using
the default out-of-the-box Maven styles with almost zero adjustments.

The PL/Java doc sources are less like PostgreSQL's (which are
DocBook XML) and more like PgJDBC's (both use Markdown, but with
different toolchains). I think changing the markup language would
be out of scope; Markdown seems adequate, and personally I find it
less tiring to write. It would be nice to get it to generate tables
of contents based on existing headings.

Further discussion should probably migrate to the pljava-dev list
but that seems to be wedged at the moment; I'll look into that
and report back. Meanwhile let's be sparing in use of pgsql-hackers
(the final commitfest for PostgreSQL 13 is going on this month).

Regards,
-Chap