Re: perlcritic: Missing "return" - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: perlcritic: Missing "return"
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On 05/11/2018 09:59 AM, Mike Blackwell wrote:
> After applying the perlcritic overrides Andrew used for the buildfarm,
> one of the most common remaining level 4 warnings in the PostgreSQL
> source, with 186 occurrences, is 'Subroutine does not end with "return"'.
>
> The point of this warning is that, in Perl, falling off the end of a
> subroutine returns the result of the last statement.  Therefor  one
> should explicitly 'return;' to make it clear the caller is not
> expecting that result as the return value.
>
> I believe Andrew took the approach of adding return at the end of all
> functions for the buildfarm code.  Would the project prefer the same?
> The other option would be disable the warning, based on a policy of
> always explicitly using 'return' when returning a value.
>
> Thoughts?

Part of the reasoning behind this perlcritic policy is that falling off
the end of a function can leak information. That's why I went and
cleaned it up in the buildfarm code. I don't have terribly strong
feelings either way, but if Mike wants to do the leg work then I favor
accepting a patch to clean this up.

cheers

andrew