Re: PostgreSQL pollutes the file system - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jonathan S. Katz
Subject Re: PostgreSQL pollutes the file system
Date
Re: PostgreSQL pollutes the file system
List pgsql-hackers
On 3/20/19 2:08 PM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> On 2019-Mar-20, Euler Taveira wrote:
>
>> Em qua, 20 de mar de 2019 às 14:57, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> escreveu:
>>>
>>> We managed to get rid of createlang and droplang in v10, and there
>>> hasn't been that much push-back about it.  So maybe there could be
>>> a move to remove createuser/dropuser?  Or at least rename them to
>>> pg_createuser and pg_dropuser.  But I think this was discussed
>>> (again) during the v10 cycle, and we couldn't agree to do more than
>>> get rid of createlang/droplang.
>
> Previous discussion:
> https://postgr.es/m/CABUevExPrfPH5K5qM=zsT7tvfyACe+i5qjA6bfWCKKYrh8MJLw@mail.gmail.com
>
>> Votes? +1 to remove createuser/dropuser (and also createdb/dropdb as I
>> said in the other email). However, if we don't have sufficient votes,
>> let's at least consider a 'pg_' prefix.
>
> I vote to keep these rename these utilities to have a pg_ prefix and to
> simultaneously install symlinks for their current names, so that nothing
> breaks.

This sounds like a reasonable plan, pending which binaries we feel to do
that with.

Pardon this naive question as I have not used such systems in awhile,
but would this work on systems that do not support symlinks?

Jonathan

Attachment