Re: psql: Add command to use extended query protocol - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Daniel Verite
Subject Re: psql: Add command to use extended query protocol
Date
List pgsql-hackers
    Jehan-Guillaume de Rorthais wrote:

> As I wrote in my TCE review, would it be possible to use psql vars to set
> some
> named parameters for the prepared query? This would looks like:
>
>  \set p1 foo
>  \set p2 bar
>  SELECT :'p1', :'p2' \gp

As I understand the feature, variables would be passed like this:

\set var1 'foo bar'
\set var2 'baz''qux'

select $1, $2 \gp :var1 :var2

 ?column? | ?column?
 foo bar  | baz'qux

It appears to work fine with the current patch.

This is consistent with the fact that PQexecParams passes $N
parameters ouf of the SQL query (versus injecting them in the text of
the query) which is also why no quoting is needed.

Best regards,
--
Daniel Vérité
https://postgresql.verite.pro/