Re: [NOVICE] encoding problems - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Guillaume Smet
Subject Re: [NOVICE] encoding problems
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 4:35 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@svana.org> writes:
>  > The other alternative is to convert tabs to spaces on output. Can't
>  > remember why we didn't do that.
>
>  Yeah.  The idea I had was to invent a parameter specifying the number of
>  spaces a tab should expand to --- setting this to zero would give you
>  the current \x09 behavior.  I'm not sure how painful it would be to
>  expand tabs properly in mbprint, but it seems possible.

Is there any plan to fix this behaviour in 8.3 branch? For instance,
the pg_stat_activity output is far less readable than before when
people use tabs to indent the SQL queries in their applications. From
my experience, it's pretty common and it's really a regression from
the usability point of view.

Regards,

--
Guillaume