What happens on a commit? - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Chris Hoover
Subject What happens on a commit?
Date
List pgsql-admin
I am trying to diagnose a slowness issue in some of my databases.  I think the issue is due to a hardware/network upgrade over the weekend, but like all dba's, I have to prove it.

Right now, I have almost all commits being issues taking between 1 and 5 seconds to complete.  The can take as long as 20 seconds.  What exactly happens when a commit is issues to PostgreSQL?

Is there a way to trace what is going on internally?  I do have a large process that I can start that will run many transactions during a single session.

Anyway, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

PG 8.1.3