Fwd: Help with rules - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Chris Hoover
Subject Fwd: Help with rules
Date
List pgsql-admin
Sorry for the repost, but can anyone comment on this, please?

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Chris Hoover <revoohc@gmail.com>
Date: Aug 5, 2005 3:29 PM
Subject: Help with rules
To: pgsql-admin@postgresql.org

I need some help.  I was looking at this e-mail
(http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-performance/2005-06/msg00369.php),
and it gave me a good idea on how to fake partitioning.

I have created a test database with serveral identical tables.
Table_2003, Table_2004, Table_2005, etc

I then created the view "test_view" and defined as a union all of all
of the tables.

I have created several do instead insert rules trying to force the
data into the correct table when I load from production data into the
view/tables.  However, PostgreSQL will not preform the inserts when
trying to load the data.  It complains about needing an uncondition ON
INSERT DO INSTEAD rule.

Is there anyway to have a rule that would correctly insert the data
from the view into the correct underlying table when loading a file
with several years of data?

Thanks,

Chris