Re: Curious about wide tables. - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Mag Gam
Subject Re: Curious about wide tables.
Date
List pgsql-sql
Any chance this could be a view?

On Sun, Apr 27, 2008 at 12:06 PM, Jonah H. Harris <jonah.harris@gmail.com> wrote:
On Sun, Apr 27, 2008 at 9:01 AM, Jean-David Beyer
<jeandavid8@verizon.net> wrote:
> In another thread, the O.P. had a question about a large table with over 100
>  columns. Is this usual? Whenever I make a database, which is not often, it
>  ends up with tables that rarely have over to columns, and usually less than
>  that. When normalized, my tables rarely get very wide.

Yes, even in several well-normalized schemas I've seen tables with
over 250 columns.

>  Without criticising the O.P., since I know nothing about his application, I
>  am curious how it comes about that such a wide table is justified.

The few applications I've seen with large tables were an insurance
system, an manufacturing system, and a sensor-recording system (which
was more optimal to store as an attribute-per-instance-of-time than a
separate tuple containing the time, sensor, and value).

--
Jonah H. Harris, Sr. Software Architect | phone: 732.331.1324
EnterpriseDB Corporation | fax: 732.331.1301