Re: Postgresql + containerization possible use case - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Achilleas Mantzios
Subject Re: Postgresql + containerization possible use case
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi Adrian

On 10/12/21 6:01 μ.μ., Adrian Klaver wrote:
> On 12/10/21 01:24, Achilleas Mantzios wrote:
>> Hi
>

>> The idea for future upgrades is to containerize certain aspects of the software. The questions are (I am not skilled
indocker, only minimal contact with lxd) :

>> - is this a valid use case for containerization?
>> - are there any gotchas around postgersql, the reliability of the system ?
>> - since we are talking about 4+ basic services (pgsqk, jboss, uucp, samba), is docker a good fit or should we be
lookinginto lxd as well?

>> - are there any success stories of other after following a similar path?
>
> My question is what is it going to change? The software in the containers still need to be maintained/upgraded and
nowyou have added maintenance and management of the container software and

> communication between containers.

I think the rationale is that sysadms may upgrade system and kernel without caring about breaking things, the docker
imagesof the respective services (jboss, pgsql, exim4, etc..) will evolve (more)

independently.

>> Thank you!
>>
>> PS
>>
>> For those who wonder about UUCP, UUCP was our comms solution prior we installed TCP/IP on the vessels. However, to
thisday, it provides a nice management layer, a sort of protection before data

>> leave the vessel or reach the vessel, in a user controlled manner. So uucp stayed as it matched exactly the business
asfar data transfers and emails are concerned. It would be hard to uniformly

>> manage data transfers and emails in/out in a plain TCP/IP setup (rsync, ftp, etc, sendmail/exim4/postfix or other
MTA).

--
Achilleas Mantzios
DBA, Analyst, IT Lead